Got a craving for an ooey-gooey slice? You’ll want to check out and check off these Muscat pizza joints that are toppers when it comes to toppings!
Whether you’re a Neapolitan purist, or a devotee of the ‘pineapple-has-no-place-on-pizza’ school of thought, thin-crust or stuffed-crust, humanity’s love for the humble pizza-pie is one of gastronomy’s most intense relationships.
And with The Daily Meal going viral with a recent feature on how pizza has been proven to be a better breakfast option than sugary cereals – well, dreams do come true!
The ultimate comfort food, the mere smell of a piping-hot pizza fresh from the oven is enough to rev up the appetite. And in our never-ending search for the perfect slice, we’ve rounded up a few Muscat pizza parlours where you’re bound to get that Insta-worthy cheese-pull with an ooey-gooey slice loaded with some mouthwateringly unique toppings.
We’ll have a large to go, please!
• Location: Al Khuwair
• Timings: 12 noon till 12 midnight, daily
• Contact: (+968) 2447-5750
@968foodstudio (Facebook & Instagram)
While its name is an homage to the Sultanate, this modern Indian eatery is putting an elevated twist on food from the subcontinent with some truly out-of-the-box cuisine – and their deliciously fresh pizzas aren’t exempt! Taking your average pie up a notch with a good dose of spice is their Chicken Tikka Pizza. Thin-crust with a luscious base-coat of masala tomato sauce, this pie is topped with tender morsels of smoky tandoori chicken and topped with a generous portion of mozzarella cheese and sprinkled with zingy red onions and fresh coriander that will have you fighting over the last slice!
• Location: Al Ghubrah, Al Khuwair, Ghala, Al Khoud, and multiple other locations
• Timings: 9:00 a.m. till 12 midnight, daily
• Contact: (+968) 9808-7736/26 or 2207-1000
@rukenalpizza (Facebook & Instagram)
This local Omani startup may just be one of the Sultanate’s tastiest franchises. Offering up a range of comfort food options from burgers to pasta – but it’s their delectable pizzas that they’ve staked their name on. One of the fastest-growing local SMEs, Ruken Al Pizza’s pies are worth every last calorie. Fresh from the oven, crusts fluffy and golden, layers and layers of mozza, and a golden ratio of sauce-to-cheese – and we can’t get enough. Our must-try faves are the Tropical Hawaiian Pizza loaded with fresh pineapple (don’t judge!) and zingy jalapeños, and the delicious Beef and Chicken with juicy slices of meat smothered in all the cheese you can handle. YUM! (Plus they also offer gluten-free versions!)
• Location: The Walk, Al Mouj
• Contact: (+968) 7177-7792 or 2498-7000
@yellowcabpizzaoman (Facebook & Instagram)
Big New York-style flavour has arrived at Al Mouj with the recent opening of Yellow Cab Pizza. Think massive flying saucer-sized pies, generous toppings and barely-there thin-crust. While still a newcomer on Muscat’s foodie scene, they’re definitely one to watch out for! After scouting their menu we’ve got our eye on the extra-large Four Seasons Pizza – with a different delicious topping in all four corners from juicy prawns, to fiery peppers, and plump mushrooms. And their classic Pizza Napoletana looks aces as well!
This pie ticks all the boxes for smoky, savoury flavour and spicy zest! The best part? You can make it in under an hour – perfect in a pinch for family pizza night!
• 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
• ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
• Kosher salt
• Freshly-ground black pepper
• All-purpose flour, for dough
• 1lb pizza dough, at room temperature
• 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce, plus more for drizzling
• ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
• ½ cup shredded fontina cheese
• ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
• Ranch dressing, for drizzling
• Freshly-chopped chives, for garnish
• Preheat oven to 260° Celsius. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken and cook until golden and no longer pink, six minutes per side. Season generously with salt and pepper.
• Meanwhile, brush an oven-proof skillet with oil.
• On a floured work surface, roll out dough until circumference matches your skillet. Transfer to skillet.
• Leaving a ½-inch border for the crust, spread barbecue sauce onto dough. Top with cheddar, fontina, chicken, and red onion.
• Brush crust with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
• Bake until crust is crisp and cheese is melted, 23 to 25 minutes.
• Drizzle with barbecue sauce and ranch and garnish with chives.