Y Predicts The Game-Changing Beauty Trends of 2019

02 Jan 2019
POSTED BY Y Magazine

What are the trends to take on in 2019? Christine Karan predicts the creative concepts and products that will burn holes in our pockets while keeping us looking good.



2018 was the year of mattes and highlighters. With Rihanna stirring up the beauty industry with Fenty beauty and the introduction of 40 shades of foundations, 2018 saw many other brands following the same path, with diverse ranges in concealers, foundations and even loose-setting powder.

But, what does 2019 look like? Will matte still hold the crown? Will highlighters be the product? Here are our predictions:


1) Eyeshadows


2018 was the year of nudes! Beloved brands such as Huda Beauty and Urban Decay came out with ‘everyday’, and ‘morning’ colours that were big hits. While these nude palettes consisted mostly of matt shades, there was a small contribution of metallic/shimmery shades too. So typically, the 2018 palette saw 70 per cent matte shades with the rest 30 per cent shimmery. While eyeshadow palettes boasted shimmery shades, highlighters played a dual role of being a highlighter
as well as an eyeshadow giving the eyes a pop of bling.

Now, it looks like matte lovers will take a back seat, because for 2019, we predict a complete new eye-look is ready to take over the glossy eye-look. With MAC having already set the stage with their product ‘Face Glass’, beauty lovers can get ready to know the techniques from their favourite beauty gurus.


2) Lip Gloss


The fantastical follower of matte liquid lip was started by one of the Kardashians, Kylie Jenner. Her matte lips were indeed revolutionary. However, will matte liquid lip still hold a place in 2019? Well, we think not.

Lip glosses are making a comeback. Many brands have already got on this bandwagon including Kylie Cosmetics. Unlike the earlier round of lip gloss, this time, brands are keen on a gloss that gives sheen, is moisturising and at the same time is super shimmery. Some products in the gloss section we love are Fenty Beauty ‘Gloss Bomb Lip Illuminizer’ and Clinique’s ‘Chubby Plump and Shine Liquid Lip’.


3) Hair


Hair colour trends are some of the most creative in the beauty industry. From single tone hair colours to rainbow (for those who are not aware, that is colouring your hair in all the colours of the rainbow), we have seen it all and we predict that more will come.

But as for 2019, we predict pastel greys to come back into trend. Silver hair or pastel grey has slowly become a favourite among bloggers/ vloggers and it looks like their followers have started shadowing the trend too.

Our recommendation for this cool tone hair colour: L’Oreal Paris ‘Colorista’ collection. The collection offers you a temporary spray on dye for those who doubt the pastel colour. For the determined, try the semi-permanent dye.


Share this

Public Reviews and Comments