Start as you mean to go on this New Year’s with these resolution-busting recipes that pack a nutritional punch and don’t skimp on flavour!
It’s with all our best intentions that we vow to go further and do better each New Year. Gym memberships sell like hotcakes, produce and protein powders fly off the shelves, and for the first few weeks of January we suddenly don’t mind the idea of green smoothies. But nine times out of ten by the time Valentine’s Day rolls round, we’re first in line for the discount chocolates on February 15.
Why do we punish ourselves with achievable goals in unrealistic time-frames? Instead, opt for slow and sustainable – taking the time to form lasting healthy habits that will carry you through the year and, hopefully, for life. Here are some of our favourite recipes that don’t shy away from indulgence or flavour to kickstart you on your way!
If you can’t help but jump on the smoothie bandwagon, get yourself started with this creamy-delicious, nutrient-packed glass of goodness to start the day or for a post-workout boost.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
• 100g cashews
• 1 cup water
• 70g frozen blueberries
• ½ tsp beetroot powder*
• ½ tsp baobab powder*
• 1 tsp lucuma powder*
*(Available in health food supplement stores, or online)
1. Soak the cashews in the water for at least 30 minutes. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak for 2 hours as they will blend more smoothly.
2. Blend the frozen blueberries, beetroot powder and baobab powder until they form a smooth paste. Pour into the bottom of a glass then wash the blender out.
3. Pour the cashews, and the water they were soaking in, into the blender with the lucuma powder. Blend until a smooth milky texture forms. If it’s too thick, just add a small amount of water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
4. Pour the ‘milk’ over the top of the blueberry mixture slowly to create the marbled effect in the glass.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
• 300 g chicken breast, cut into thin slices
• 1 can (400 ml) of coconut milk
• 1 medium zucchini, diced
• 150 g of mushrooms, sliced
• 1 Tbsp of green curry paste
• 1 clove of garlic, chopped
• 1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
• 3 cm of fresh ginger, grated
• 2 tsp of vegetable oil
• 2 cups of chicken broth (or more if you like less dense soups)
• a handful of chopped fresh basil to serve
• lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper to taste
1. In a medium saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add chicken, curry paste and chili and stir for 2 minutes.
2. Add the broth and the rest of the vegetables and cook for about 15 minutes or until they soften. Add coconut milk and cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Season with sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve the soup sprinkled with basil.
The ultimate comfort food in grab-and-go format. These lusciously-creamy sandwiches make the perfect lunchtime companion and are packed with protein and Omega 3s.
Prep time: 5 minutes
• 250 g hot smoked salmon (boneless)
• 100 g crème fraîche
• 2 Tbsp lemon juice
• black pepper
• 2 Tbsp chives (chopped)
• a handful of rocket salad
• 8 slices of whole wheat bread
1. Prepare salmon paste by mixing together the salmon, crème fraiche and lemon juice. Season with black pepper and a pinch of salt if your salmon is not already salted.
2. Add chopped chives.
3. Fill your sandwiches by adding some salmon paste on four slices of bread. Add rocket salad and cover with the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half.