Here are some interesting facts from the final World Cup match between France and Croatia:
1) France became the first team to score four goals in a World Cup final since Brazil beat Italy 4-1 in 1970.
2) France lifted the trophy for the second time ever. Their first win was in 1998.
3) Croatia’s Mario Mandzukic is the only player who has scored an own goal in a World Cup final.
4) Croatia’s Mario Mandzukic became the second player in World Cup history to score both an own goal and a goal in the same match, after Ernie Brandts for Netherlands against Italy in 1978.
5) In the 65th minute of the match, Kylian Mbappe became the only teenager to score in the World Cup final after Pele in 1958.
Can the curse of the World Cup be lifted?
After a World Cup triumph in 1998 on home soil, France came into the 2002 World Cup in South Korea and Japan as favourites. However, after a 1-0 defeat to Senegal, and a draw and loss to Uruguay and Denmark, respectively, they ended their tour on an all-time low.
But can France break the shackles and end the curse of the FIFA World Cup trophy?
The answer to that we shall see in Qatar at the 2022 FIFA World Cup.