The Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup is now underway with some spectacular goals and very few unexpected results. Here, Y’s Alvin Thomas compiles the four top moments of games from last week.
Argentina vs. Croatia (0-3)
- This was Argentina’s heaviest defeat to a team in the group stages since their 1-6 defeat to Czechoslovakia in 1958.
- This was Croatia’s first win in five attempts against South American teams at the World Cup.
Brazil vs. Costa Rica (2-0)
- Costa Rica has remained winless in their last five World Cup matches.
- Brazil have won 10 out of their 11 encounters with Costa Rica in all competitions.
Germany vs. Sweden (2-1)
- Toni Kroos’ winning goal at 94 minutes and 42 seconds was the latest goal scored by Germany in a World Cup match.
England vs Panama (6-1)
- This was England’s biggest ever win in a tournament match.
- This was only the fifth time that a team has scored five goals before half-time in a World Cup match.