Coming to terms with acne is difficult for many young girls but a spotless face is a matter of finding time to take care of a few things, says Gayathri Das
Acne is a common problem, especially among teenage girls and young women. Breakouts happen due to various reasons, such as an excess intake of oily food, an inadequate intake of water, climatic conditions, etc.
When too much of sebum or oil is produced a plug with dead skin is formed which when infected with bacteria results in swellings.
The key factor that triggers acne in most cases is the food you take.
A few acne-causing foods are:
Gluten in bread causes acne in many people. Studies show that gluten sensitivity is linked to dermatitis herpetiformis.
The oils used for making potato chips are rich in omega 6 fatty acids which cause acne. They also lack vitamins and minerals, so dump potato chips or any other oil-fried chips for baked items.
If you want to indulge in chocolates go for the dark ones. The high sugar content in milk chocolates causes breakouts in some people.
This is the worst acne drink. High levels of fructose increase your sugar levels causing the skin to react through acne.
Ditch these drinks and your skin will thank you by showing glowing changes.
Stress also triggers acne. When you are under high pressure your oil glands get stimulated leading to clogged pores which result in swellings.
• Ice: Dab ice over pimples. This will help reduce pain and prevent pimples from becoming larger.
• Tea tree oil: Apply tea tree oil over pimples and keep it for 20 minutes. Wipe it out with a cotton ball.
• Lemon: Mix 2-3 drops of lemon with half a teaspoon honey. Apply it on pimples and leave it for 15 minutes and wash it out.
• Potato juice: Mix half a teaspoon of potato juice with a pinch of cinnamon powder and apply the mixture over pimples and wash it out after 15 minutes.
• Papaya: Apply raw papaya juice over pimples and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes and wash it out.
• Aloe vera: Mix half a teaspoon of aloe vera gel with crushed mint leaves and apply it over pimples and leave it overnight. Pimples will subside. Never ever break pimples with your fingers. That could spread the infection around your face.