As tropical cyclone Mekunu nears the southern coast, the Public Authority for Civil Defense and Ambulance (PACDA) issued a preventive guide to make sure you stay safe during the storm.
Here are some tips to stay safe:
- Fix objects that could be blown away by strong winds, whether it’s on the rooftop or in gardens.
- Keep a flashlight, battery and radio along with you, because it will be the only communication device during power outage.
- In case of any emergency, be ready to leave the place immediately, but make sure you close/switch off the source of gas, water and electricity at your place.
- Whether you’re walking or are travelling by vehicle, make sure you leave early, as roads could close due to flooding or objects that fall.
- Find shelters and emergency assistance, which include accommodation, food, medical services and other essentials, and remember the emergency call number (9999) or 24343666.
- Avoid venturing into the sea, wadis and low-lying areas
- Find out about high ground areas and know how to access them.
- Avoid sitting near street lamps or dangling wires.
- If your vehicle stops, leave it and seek higher ground.
- Avoid areas with inundated water and wadis.