A wholesome, delicious dish you can prepare without the hassle and serve with a smile when pressed for time on a hectic day.
When busy mornings give way to a hectic workday followed by homework and after-school activities, a fresh, simple meal is often the only option.
Take a nutritious dish to the family table that still brings a flavorful bite. This savoury lasagna recipe boasts meaty eggplant, fresh zucchini and lycopene-rich tomatoes. Whole-wheat noodles pack fibre and natural plant compounds, called phytochemicals.
* Source: Family Features
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Reprinted with permission from the American Institute for Cancer Research.
- 2 eggplants (about 1.360g), quartered lengthwise
- 6 medium zucchini (about 1.360g)
- 450g canola oil cooking spray
- 450g whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 425g low-fat ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce, divided
- Heat an oven to 232°C. Grease a 13-by-9- by-2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Slice the eggplant and zucchini in 1/2-inch slices. Layer on two baking sheets and coat both sides of the vegetables with the cooking spray.
- Roast for 20 minutes. Toss the vegetables and continue roasting until well browned and soft, for about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions.
- Separate noodles and let cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cheese, eggs, Parmesan, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- To assemble:
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with a layer of pasta (noodle strips slightly overlapping).
- Spread with one-third of ricotta mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of mozzarella over ricotta. Spoon 1/3 of the roasted vegetables on top. Top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and continue assembly as directed until there are four layers of pasta and three layers of filling.
- Spread the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking until golden and bubbly, for about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Public Reviews and Comments