How to shed excess weight without depriving yourself of your favourite foods, including red meat, and maintain muscle mass and heart health.
A study from the University of Colorado Anschutz Health and Wellness Center shows that healthy, higher-protein diets, including lean beef, can be beneficial to not only weight loss but also maintaining muscle mass and heart health. The study is in line with ongoing research on the importance of lean protein for weight loss. To kick your healthy eating plan into high gear, try these tips:
- Enjoy protein in every meal. One of the benefits of having protein in your meal is feeling more satisfied, which helps reduce mindless eating or snacking in between meals. Additionally, meals with high-quality protein help build muscle and reduce body fat.
- Choose lean protein options. Picking lean protein options can be easier than you think. You can still enjoy a beef burger and save calories by choosing lean or extra-lean ground beef. Other smart meat case picks include top sirloin steak or sirloin tip, bottom round steak or roast, eye of round steak or roast, or top round steak or roast. Also make sure to choose colourful vegetables and fruits to round out your meal, like in this recipe for Grilled Southwestern Steak and Colourful Vegetables.
- Dine out smart. Many people struggle with getting a balanced, protein-filled meal when dining out or grabbing food on-the-go. Look for words like “grilled,” “broiled” or “baked” when browsing the menu for lean proteins. Or add a lean protein to your entree salad, whether it’s for lunch or dinner. For snack time, consider beef jerky to get protein on-the-go.
For meal ideas and tips to support your weight loss goals, visit BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com.
* Family Features
Grilled Southwestern Steak and Colourful Vegetables
Recipe courtesy of the Beef Checkoff
Total time: 25-35 minutes
- 1 beef top round steak, cut 1-inch thick (about 700g)
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup prepared mild salsa
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 230g button mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Place the beef steak and the marinade in a food-safe plastic bag; turn the steak to coat. Close the bag securely and marinate in a refrigerator for six hours, or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard the marinade. Place the steak on the grill over medium, ash-covered coals. For a medium-rare (63°C) doneness, grill covered, turning once, for 12-14 minutes (on a gas grill over a medium heat, for 16-19 minutes).
To prepare Colorful Vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper strips; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add the mushrooms, zucchini, cumin, salt and black pepper; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Add the tomatoes and green onions; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Carve the steak into thin slices; season with salt, to taste. Serve with Colourful Vegetables.
Public Reviews and Comments