Break your fast at any time of the day with these nifty recipes.
For those of you who think nothing of tucking into a bowl of honey nut cornflakes as an anytime snack, you’re onto a good thing.
Never mind the ‘breakfast of champions’. Foods typically eaten at breakfast time are often too scrummy to confine to the most important meal of the day.
So, if you’re a partial to a turkey bacon bagel and cream cheese for supper, then why not have it?
You really can give your meals a wake-up call because breakfast is no longer just for mornings.
Delicious, wholesome ingredients are the centrepiece of breakfast dishes, and turkey bacon and turkey ham can lend mouthwatering flavour to breakfast dishes you can enjoy all day, any day.
Put a hearty spin on avocado toast or get creative with a protein-packed breakfast bowl.
Find more recipes you can enjoy morning, noon and night at Smithfield.com.
Breakfast Avocado Toast with turkey bacon and turkey ham
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 454g Boneless Sliced turkey ham
- 1.5-2 litres water
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup freshly made or refrigerated, prepared guacamole
- 4 large eggs
- 4 thick slices seeded wholegrain bread, toasted golden brow
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
- Heat the oven to 190C. Lightly spray a baking rack and place on top of a foil-lined, rimmed baking tray. Separate the strips of the turkey bacon and lay flat in a single layer on the rack. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or just until crisp, rotating the pan halfway through cooking. Using the spatula, remove the bacon from the pan while warm and drain on paper towels.
- While the turkey bacon is baking, lay the sliced turkey ham on a lightly sprayed, rimmed baking pan. Bake for 5-7 minutes or until warmed through. Keep the turkey bacon and turkey ham warm.
- In a saucepot over a medium-high heat, heat the water and lime juice until simmering. Crack the eggs into small cups. Slowly add the eggs one-at-a-time to the pot and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the whites are just set for a runny yolk or a little longer for a firmer yolk. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Spread the guacamole onto the toast, topping each one with sliced turkey ham, egg, pepper and turkey bacon. Sprinkle with parsley or cilantro and serve warm.
Hearty Breakfast Bowl
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 225g boneless turkey ham steaks, cubed
- 3 cups cooked steel-cut Irish or traditional oatmeal
- 3.3 litres water, divided
- 454g fresh asparagus
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups fresh assorted berries
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup pepitas (Spanish pumpkin seeds)
- Heat oven to 190C.
- Lightly spray a baking rack and place on top of a foil-lined, rimmed baking pan. Separate strips of turkey bacon and lay flat on a single layer on rack. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until just crisp, rotating the pan halfway through the cooking. Using the spatula, remove the turkey bacon from the pan while warm and drain on paper towels. Drain the fat from the pan. Place the turkey ham cubes on the same rack and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through.
- Prepare the oatmeal as directed on the packet and keep warm with the turkey ham and the turkey bacon.
- Over a high heat, bring two litres of water to the boil and blanch the asparagus for 1-2 minutes, or until tender-crisp when pierced with a fork. With tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus; drain and set aside. In the same saucepot over a high heat, bring 1.5litres of water to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer and, using a slotted spoon, carefully lower the eggs into the water individually. Cook for six-and-a-half minutes for a softer, jammy yolk or a little more for a firmer yolk, keeping the water simmering during cooking. Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water and chill for one minute for easier peeling.
- To assemble, divide the oatmeal, asparagus, berries, turkey ham and turkey bacon among four bowls. Place the peeled, halved egg in each bowl and top with walnuts and pepitas.