Keep it cool and fresh over the summer months with healthy salads that pack a flavour punch. Try out this light, tasty take on chicken for the summer table.
There are many seasonal salads to enjoy, and everyone has a favourite. Change your warm-weather dining habits up a bit with this recipe for Ruby Beet Chicken Salad Skewers. Easy to prepare, this deliciously unique salad on a skewer is perfect for entertaining family and friends.
The sweet-tangy, nutty, piquant and savoury combination of ingredients provides layers of flavours in every forkful. One-bite Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets are just right for skewering with the mustard-marmalade glazed chicken and crisp romaine.
To finish, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with toasted almonds and cheese. Add a wholegrain baguette and your meal is ready. For more warm-weather recipe ideas, visit AuntNellies.com.
* Family Features
Ruby Beet Chicken Salad Skewers
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 jar (454g) Aunt Nellie’s Baby Whole Pickled Beets, drained
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 454g)
- Salt, to taste, plus 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- Pepper, to taste, plus 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 4 1/2 tablespoons stone ground mustard, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange marmalade, plus 1/3 cup, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 1/3 cup juice)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag (255g) leafy romaine pieces
- 8 wooden skewers
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled firm white cheese (such as blue cheese, feta or goat)
Heat oven to 190 C. Drain the beets and set aside.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. In a small bowl, combine one-and-a half tablespoons each of mustard and marmalade. Brush the mixture over the chicken until completely coated. Bake the chicken on an aluminium foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet for 20-25 minutes or until the juices run clear. Set aside.
- To make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, combine the remaining mustard, remaining marmalade, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and one-half teaspoon of pepper. Slowly pour in the oil while whisking vigorously until completely combined.
- Slice cooled chicken into 2.5cm pieces. On each skewer, thread a beet, a piece of chicken and 4-5 pieces of lettuce; repeat twice and add one beet at the end. Repeat to make eight skewers. Place skewers on a large serving platter. Stir the vinaigrette and drizzle lightly over the skewers. Sprinkle with almonds and cheese. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.
- Substitution: Whole pickled beets may be substituted. Cut the beets in half.
- Alternate preparation: To grill the chicken, brush both sides with the mustard-marmalade mixture. Grill over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through and the thermometer reads 73 C. If the chicken cooks too quickly, reduce the heat to medium-low.