Simplicity is key to this flavourful Iftar recipe that combines chicken with freekah, creating a healthy meal for all the family to enjoy.
UAE based cookery writer Assia Othman has a chicken dish perfect for this weekend’s Iftar.
Our Iftar recipe guide continues this week, with a delicious dish from the cookery book author and TV host Assia Othman.
Based in the UAE, the mother-of two is originally from Morocco, and is always on the lookout for delicious and nutritious meals to put on her blog and social media.
After a long day of fasting, it’s important to eat a healthy, balanced meal for Iftar, and this freekeh with chicken dish, which Assia developed, is a great option. It’s easy to prepare and best of all, you can simply place it in a slow cooker on the “stew” option and it is ready in just 40 minutes.
For more recipe ideas, check out Assia’s blog at assiakitchen.com
Freekeh with Chicken
(Created by Assia Othman for De’Longhi)
- 2 cups Freekeh grain, washed and soaked
- 3 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- One full measuring cup No. 5 of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Roasted almonds for garnish
- Parsley for garnish
- Put the olive oil amount in the Multifry, and add the chicken and onions.
- Select the “Stew” function and set the thermostat dial to position 4 for 40 minutes and press the on/off button.
- Close the lid and let it cook for 10 minutes
- Add the tomato paste, Freekeh grain, spices, and water then close the lid and leave it until the Freekeh is cooked.
Garnish it with nuts and parsley and serve.