Forget breakfast and lunch – let’s have brunch! Try these fun recipes to mix it up the next time you have friends over.
Hosting an elegant brunch is easy when you build a menu around exceptional ingredients. Your dishes don’t have to be overly complicated; simple dishes are perfect for the occasion when you let stand-out flavours steal the show.
Brunch calls for a combination of light and savoury fare, and an ingredient like Jarlsberg Cheese lets you go either way. Best known for its classic wedge, this nutty, mild cheese is also available sliced and shredded – perfect for adding a distinctive taste to nearly any indulgent dish you can imagine.
Quiche is a brunch staple, and no variation of this classic is complete without cheese – in this case, a rich, creamy layering of Jarlsberg’s unmistakeable flavour does the trick. Other brunch options include spicy tater tot breakfast muffins. Explore more recipes for a simply elegant brunch at jarlsberg.com.
– Family Features
Spinach and Sundried Tomato Quiche
Recipe courtesy of Jarlsberg Cheese
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 red onion, cut into rings
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup olives
- 1 cup shredded Jarlsberg Cheese
To make pie dough: Heat the oven to 190C
- Mix butter and flour in a food processor or by hand until the mixture has a granular consistency. Add water and knead into dough. Let chill for 30 minutes. Roll out the dough and fit into a 25cm pie pan. With a fork, make holes in the dough and bake for 15 minutes.
To make filling: Heat oven to 180C
- In a frying pan, fry the onion and spinach with butter then scoop the mixture into a quiche base. Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and pour over the spinach and onion. Top with olives, sundried tomatoes and cheese.
Bake for 35-40 minutes
Spicy Tater Tot Breakfast Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Chef George Duran
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 36 frozen tater tots
- 2 cups grated Jarlsberg Cheese, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds and veins removed and finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- finely chopped parsley, for garnish
Heat the oven to 200C. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Place three tater tots into each muffin cup and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a small spoon or fork to gently press down on tater tots to form the base and sides of each muffin.
- Sprinkle two cups of Jarlsberg cheese equally over tater tots and bake for 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the jalapeno, red pepper, heavy cream, salt and pepper.
- Remove tater tots from the oven and pour the egg mixture into the cups. Top evenly with the remaining grated cheese and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove each muffin and allow to cool for five minutes on a cooling rack before garnishing with parsley and serving.
Tip: For a non-spicy alternative, replace jalapeno with the same amount of green bell peppers.