This little purple vegetable is full of flavour and packed with nutrients for any dish you want to rustle up.
Spice things up this season with some uniquely delicious recipe options that are perfect for any meal occasion.
Quick Sausage and German Potato Salad can be on the lunch or dinner table in 20 minutes, thanks to pre-cooked sausages and a can of heat-and-eat READ German Potato Salad.
Sides are easy, too. If roasted vegetables are more your style, try Thyme-Scented Roasted Vegetables, accented with sweet, tangy pickled beets.
For more seasonal recipes featuring beets, visit AuntNellies.com and READsalads.com.
* Family Features
Thyme-Scented Roasted Vegetables and Beets
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 jar (450g) Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets, drained and halved
- 225g baby carrots
- 1 medium onion, cut through to the core into 1cm wedges
- 225g shallots, peeled and halved if large
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
Heat oven to 200C.
- Line a 38cm-by-25cm jelly roll pan with aluminium foil. Add the beets, carrots, onion and shallots. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add garlic to vegetables and toss well. Return to the oven and continue roasting for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
Note: 1 tablespoon of chopped, fresh thyme may be substituted for dried thyme leaves.
Quick Sausage and German Potato Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium-red or yellow onion, cut into 1cm thick wedges
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 340g pre-cooked smoked chicken or turkey sausage links 400g can READ German Potato Salad
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper chopped parsley (optional)
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and the bell pepper. Cook and stir for one minute. Add the sausages; continue cooking for five minutes until browned and heated through, turning occasionally. Remove the sausages from the pan.
- Add the potato salad and the black pepper to the pan. Stir to combine with the onion mixture. Return the sausages to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.