Student Dropouts Reach High Record

06 Oct 2016
POSTED BY Y Magazine

The number of students dropping out of colleges across the Sultanate has reached an all-time high, with many citing personal reasons for quitting their studies.



According to a recent study published by the Higher Education Admission Center, nearly 11,000 students quit their studies in the 2014/15 academic year.

The data comprises studies conducted on students who were enrolled in both public and private institutions.

The study shows that a total of 10,725 students dropped out of school, of which 64 per cent were male and the remaining 36 per cent female. This number constitutes a total of 8 per cent of the total 132,177 students who attended school during the 2014/2015 academic year.

Personal issues were cited as the most common reason for dropping out, accounting 30.5 per cent of those leaving school. This was followed by academic reasons, with 25.4 per cent. Meanwhile, 24.8 per cent did not cite a specific reason for leaving.

Other reasons included “loss of the will” to continue studying, being employed during studies, as well as financial difficulties, medical issues or death.

Students majoring in engineering and technology made up the majority of dropouts at 31.3 per cent. Administration and commerce students followed at 28.9 per cent, while information technology recorded a 12 per cent drop-out rate. Meanwhile, culture and society majors recorded a 6.9 per cent withdrawal rate, and religion and philosophy recorded the lowest rate of just 0.3 per cent.

Of the students dropping out from colleges, 69.8 per cent were pursuing a bachelor’s degree, while 25.8 per cent were seeking a diploma.

Finally, 53.3 per cent of the students came from private institutions, while the remainder was studying at public institutions.

Commenting on the situation to Y, a Muscat-based doctor said children were taking studies less seriously than previous generations.

“One student came to me saying: ‘My father only has education till grade six before he dropped out and he earns over RO3,000. I am educated till grade 10. So I should be able to earn more’,” the doctor told us.


Share this

Public Reviews and Comments