The coastguard search for missing Oman Sail crewmember, Mohammed al Alawi, who disappeared in the waters of Croatia in Europe, has been called off.
Mohammed, 26, was reported as Man Overboard (MOB) in the early hours of the morning last Wednesday (Oct 7), while the MOD70 trimaran, Musandam-Oman Sail, was en route from France to Italy.
A combined search of the area by local coastguards and Oman Sail was unable to find any trace of the young sailor.
At the weekend, the search was extended into Italian waters using helicopters, planes and boats.
Bad weather with high winds, poor visibility and rough seas grounded the search on Saturday before it resumed by air.
After a fruitless trawl of the sea on the sixth day, the Croatian coastguard said it was calling off the search.
“It is with immense sadness we heard the news that Croatian coastguards have concluded the search and Mohammed remains missing,” said David Graham, Oman Sail CEO, who said the search had been extensive.
Ahmed al Alawi, Mohammed’s father, who is in Croatia with the team, said: “We [the family] extend our deep gratitude to all who are supporting this search, especially the Omani Government, the staff of Oman Sail, Her Excellency The Sultanate of Oman’s Honorary Consul of Croatia and the Croatian Coastguard who have been exemplary.
“We have been inundated with heart-felt messages of support which are much appreciated.”
MOD70 Musandam-Oman Sail, a high-speed racing trimaran capable of a top speed of 43 knots (79kph), is due to make its debut in the 2015 Rolex Middle Sea Race beginning in Malta this weekend (Oct 17).