Harder measures may be needed
Hard-hitting campaigns may be needed to get across the message about safe driving in Oman, a leading road safety group has said.
Sayyid Nasr Albusaidi, who this week joined Safety First as chairman, said the Sultanate may have to go down the same route as countries such as the UK, which have used more graphic advertising to show the consequences of road accidents.
“If we have to become more bold, if we need to be a little more graphic, then we should,” he said. “There is no point campaigning if the message is not getting across.”
Sayyid Nasr was speaking at the official launch of Safety First’s new management team, with a new board of members, including Eihab Abutaha, CEO of SABCO Group.
Safety First, a non-profit group, was founded last year by rally driver Hamed al Wahaibi and footballer Ali al Habsi.
Monday (11) sees the start of a Traffic Safety Expo in Muscat focusing on accident reduction.
The Royal Oman Police has also said it intends to introduce an Intelligent Transport System (ITS) using a more hi-tech approach to police the roads within two years.
• Highway to Hell, p20